Sunday 13 May 2012

What makes you smile?

We all have our pet hates and things that drive us mad but since my last couple of blogs have been a bit moany, I thought I'd do one about the little things that make us smile. We all have something that is guaranteed to cheer us up on a down day whether it's a cuddle with your pet, snaffling a favourite chocolate bar or receiving a funny text from your best friend. These are my instant happiness triggers.


Seagulls. Nope, I've not gone mad, I absolutely love the noise they make. Hearing them lets me know that I'm near the sea and brings a cheer to my heart. I wouldn't go to the beach let alone step foot in the sea if you paid me but for some reason I need to be near it. I missed it so much when I moved back to London and whenever I'd visit Bournemouth I would always make time to park my car near the seafront in Southbourne so I could take in the sea air without having to come into contact with any sand. I also watched a baby seagull grow up on a roof next to my office window one summer. I named him Jonathan Livingstone and his progression was fascinating. Every time I hear one shriek I can't help but smile.


Being able to drink a whole glass of water/cola/juice without feeling guilty. I've spoken about how hard it is to live on 1 litre a fluid day whilst on dialysis and now that I'm healthy I can drink as much as I want whenever I want. I really struggled with guilt after the transplant whenever I had a drink because it's drilled into you how important it is to stay dry. I'd even gone as far as washing off all the sauce from a tin of spaghetti hoops before eating so I didn't go above my fluid restrictions and suddenly being able to glug down pints of ice cold water was quite strange. Also, Pepsi Max is my all time favourite drink but because of the brown colouring it was banned while I was ill. After getting used to being able to have fluid again, my house has always contained at least one bottle of the stuff and I'm still not bored of it. 


I am obsessed with the colour purple. I've got purple clothes, purple make up, had a purple phone etc. The only thing stopping me painting my car purple is the cost. I will only give The Avengers 9.5 out of 10 because Hawkeye wasn't purple. Not out of fandom for the character but out of love for the colour. I can't understand why it isn't more peoples favourite colour. It's the only colour of clothing that suits every single skin tone so you should all go out and purchase some purple clothes. Immediately. 


Pygmy hippos. If you can look at a picture of one of these and not feel the need to the smile then you must be a monster. Look at his little face! It's just too cute. Obviously I love miniature dachshunds more, I have to stay loyal to Monty, but these are a close second. A friend bought me an adoption kit for the ones at London Zoo and it's one of the best presents I've ever been given. 


Whenever I've got a cold, a headache or I'm feeling a bit sickly this stuff is my ultimate cure. It's impossible to feel sorry for yourself when you've got a piping hot bowl of pure comfort in front of you. It was yet another food item that I wasn't allowed when I was on dialysis and it was the first meal I had when I got out of hospital from my transplant. It always has to be Heinz though, no other kind cuts it and there must always be a slice of buttered bread involved. 

So, what are the things that make you smile?




No comments:

Post a Comment